Thursday, August 12, 2010

In the ATL

We stayed in a lovely Hyatt room last night just outside of the Atlanta metropolitan area last night.  It was bigger than most of the apartments I lived in in Oakland.... It was plenty big for the four of us!  Michael could not get to sleep last night, so I had the dubious honor of staying up with him and then we both fell asleep on the couch.  Nothing like a super comfortable bed to sleep in and then falling asleep on the couch with a squirmy 13 year old. 

Anyway, we got up and moving to make it to .... The World of Coke!  Yes, as many of you know, I am a sucker for a factory tour (Jelly Belly, Scharffen Berger, etc.) and when the opportunity came to see Coke (even as a die hard Pepsi fan) I was in!  Luckily, no one protested too much and I'm surprised Michael didn't try to move in to the attraction.
I think everyone's most-and least-favorite part was the tasting room, where you can taste 60+ Coke products from around the world.  I think the consensus that the grossest was Beverly, a drink from Europe, but everyone had their own idea about the ones that were good.  Like good Americans at Coke world (can you get more middle America consumerist than a visit to Coke?) our favorites were the tried and true North American products.  Of course, by the end, everyone but Michael had had our fill of sugar and carbonation. 

Along with the theme of my favorite things (factory tours), the world's lamest largest aquarium is across the way and I convinced the family that we had to go.  We did not.  It was full of crazy, loud, pushy people.  Not so much fun.  It has nothing on the Baltimore Aquarium or even the Cal Academy of Sciences, as there are only about 4 exhibit halls.  I do have to say that they have a fair number of uncommon marine life, including 2 whale sharks (Alice and Trixie; they are not so creative at naming), the only manta rays in the USA, and 2 Beluga whales.   So, in essence, it was worth going to see those things but it does not make it on the list of favorite aquariums.

I do love taking pictures of jelly fish and I got this one, right after they "kissed"
and this may be my favorite picture of the day, thanks to Finding Nemo:

Obviously we have not talked about food yet, so here's our treat of the day, a Coke cupcake!
(It didn't taste like Coke at all... but I had to try it!)

Check out all 200 pictures here!  I told you I would have more pictures today!

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment