Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gulf Coast Stop

This morning we checked out of the Hotel Dauphin (a New Orleans haunted hotel, as demonstrated by the crazy elevator which would have the numbers light up for no good reason--a relative of Sheila the elevator from Hood College?) and headed over to Tulane for a college visit.  Abby and mom checked out the campus while Michael and I hung out in Mayer hall.  We had a quick French lunch at La Boulangerie (not recommended) followed by a delicious ice cream dessert at the Creole Creamery, as seen on the Food Network!

Mom had Espresso Chocolate Chunk


Abby had  Lavender Honey

I had Black and Gold Crunch (chicory ice cream with chocolate stuff in it!)

And Michael, in my opinion, picked best with... surprise! Avocado ice cream.  It was like a sweet cream ice cream with a slight hint of avocado.  It was so creamy and good!


In New Orleans, we got some poolside advice to hit up the gulf coastal location Orange Beach, Alabama, since Abby has wanted to swim in the Gulf of Mexico since elementary school.  So we followed the kindly advice and had a dip in the Gulf of Mexico tonight!  The surf is rough because of the tropical depression that is coming in (and that hopefully we will miss!) so we didn't spend too long on the beach, but it was beautiful!  The sand is a super fine white (much like that of Kailua Beach in HI!)  and the water is warm!  It's definitely a good stop and I think I will have to come back here in the future.  (There are no pictures because I brought the one dead camera down to the sand)

After the Gulf, we had dinner at Wolf Bay Lodge and I think we are all in a food coma.  The portions were HUGE.  We had to have Gulf Coast seafood, but it was crazy the amount of food we got.  I got an entire flounder, Abby and Mom had shrimp, and Michael had fish and chips the size of his torso.  So much food.

I can't type anymore because I am about to pass out!

Here are the pictures from today

and yesterday!

Night!
Victoria

1 comment:

  1. You should really change your Blog to "East Coast Family Eats Across America"...I'm jealous! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete